Friday, June 30, 2006

The War Tapes

So instead of sitting back with some work friends and enjoying happy hour, I decided to make the trek across town to see the 5:10 screening of The War Tapes. The movie itself is very well done. Even though I have not been in combat, I can say I honestly emphasized with the soldiers of Charlie Company. I understood a lot of what they were going through. I understand what its like to go through something and just say it will be ok and that will be that, it will go away. And it doesn’t. I was also humbled by how their wives/girlfriends stood by them regardless of how the war had changed them. "For better of for worse." That pretty much summed up the movie for me.

I honestly didn't want to see it at first. I was afraid that it would be another war-for-oil b.s. movie like Fahrenheit 9/ whatever. I was also standoffish about seeing it because, I feel guilty that I am not over there riding in a Humvee locked and loaded waiting for contact. I can't go back to being a Marine that I once was, because I left the military with more metal in my body than I came in with. Metal that was put in place to stabilize a shoulder damaged in routine physical training. Sometimes it really gets to me emotionally because I can't be there.

I do not see any glory in war. The War Tapes brings that point home very bluntly. When the adrenaline wears off and time advances, those that didn't come home are what's remembered most. If you don't believe me, think about the last holiday that we had that celebrated war. We don't generally celebrate conflict, not directly. We instead remember and celebrate those who served and those who gave all they had. It’s about the people, not the conflict.

Anyway, go see the movie. I am not going to write a review. I liked it. Simple as that. Go see it. War is not pretty. It takes its toll on us all eventually.

1 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger N.D. Burnside said...

I saw the 7:45 showing at the Lincoln theater. I thought it was incredible. I am going to boot soon and then OCS as a member of the Virginia ARNG. B/c of OCS I am not deployable for 3 years. I have no idea if I will ever see combact like that. But I did get a very strong sense of the "band of brothers" that held each soldier together through the hell that is combat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home