Thursday, February 23, 2006

Victor Jara

Most people will never even know his name let alone hear his music. I discovered him when I lived way down south. A good friend of mine lent me one of his CDs. Listening to it every night when I went to sleep, his haunting voice filled my dreams. I devoured his music. If it had been a drug, I would have surely OD'd many times over.

His music has many messages. He sings about people, their lives, their struggles. Albeit his politics are not what I would choose. I can understand where he is coming from and I do agree with some of his ideas. Living in his environment and experiencing his culture I can understand. I would equate him with the folk/protest music of the 60s here in the States.

He died the year I was born. A victim of an oppressive regime coming to power. Before he died, his hands were broken by his killers and then he was forced to play one last song before he was shot.

Here are a couple of his songs. His first, and his most famous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home